The Godchaux-Reserve House
Built for the Laubel family in the late 18th century as part of their sugar cane plantation, it was added on to in several stages during the first half of the 19th century, reaching its current size by about 1850. During this time it also passed through several owners: Borne, Fleming and Teinter, Rillieux, Boudousquie and Andry, and Godchaux.
Under Leon Godchaux, the plantation became one of the largest producers of sugar from cane in the United States. As one of the remaining River Road antebellum homes and an exceptional example of Creole architecture, the Godchaux-Reserve House merits study.
Land was purchased from the St. John the Baptist Parish School Board on July 27, 1993 by the River Road Historical Society and the Godchaux-Reserve house was moved to its current location along the River Road and West 10th Street in Reserve. In time, the River Road Historical Society donated the home to the Godchaux-Reserve Historical Society for restoration.
Little was done to restore the magnificent home until 2013, when a group of concerned citizens from the Reserve area reorganized the Godchaux-Reserve House Historical Society Board of Directors. Today, the home is undergoing restoration and work on the exterior is slated to be finished in October 2018, upon which a celebration is planned where the photo of President Taft’s visit will be recreated.
By Brooke Robichaux LOBSERVATEUR Published 12:20 am Saturday, October 20, 2018 LAPLACE — The historic Godchaux-Reserve House paints a story of “triumph in spirit and optimism over neglect and indifference,” according to Peter Wolf, great great grandson of the man who...